KnifeCenter.com, the largest catalog of cutlery on the web!

Monday, June 6, 2011

Spyderco Caly 3 Folding Knife Review

Spyderco Caly 3 Carbon Fiber Handle with 3" ZDP189 Steel Blade

If you are looking for a high quality folding pocket knife, the Spyderco knives are where to look first. The Spyderco Caly 3 is an excellent every day carry (edc) knife. It is small, elegant, and you will hardly notice it in your pocket. It will be very rare to find a bad review on the Caly 3. For what it is, it is close to perfection. The Spyderco Caly 3 comes in 2 different forms. A carbon fiber handle with zdp blade steel and a G10 handle with VG-10 blade steel. I opted to get the G10 version as it is more practical and the steel is easier to sharpen albeit slightly inferior. This knife is small! it is very compact. Besides the size, I noticed that it was extremely comfortable in hand. The ergonomics are incredible. The Spyderco Caly 3 does not look like a traditional knife but do not let the looks fool you. It is incredibly comfortable to hold. It is a bit heavier than my Spyderco Delica Wave, but in a good way. The Caly 3 feels high quality and durable.


Out of the box, the deployment was not very fast. It had a sandy sound while opening and it would sometimes get stuck midway. After a few hundred openings, it's perfect. Not too loose that it will open in my pocket and not too tight. I can flick it easily and it will lock up with an authoritative click. The lockup is rock solid. No blade play whatsoever. If I can describe the lockup in 1 word, it would be "confident." One of the reasons I choose a Caly 3 was it's lock back design. Luckily, this wonderful knife is available to both left and right handers. The pocket clip is great. It is a hard wire "paper clip" design but it works. It allows the knife to ride deep into the pocket and it is very strong. You can slip your knife in and out of pocket easily. All Spyderco's should adopt this clip. It is a great design. Much better than the clip on my Native.

The blade is very thin and the grind starts at the top of the spine. This is referred to as being full flat grind. It is very thin making for an excellent slicer. The cutting performance is excellent and the steel holds an edge for a very long time. I have had to resharpen my blade 2 times and it was very easy with the Spyderco Sharpmaker. I have also learned to sharpen my knives freehand which I am fairly decent at. I can put on a decent honing edge. The blade is sharp and attractive with it's leaf design. I really like this design.


A few weeks ago, I saw a video where someone modified their knife with a zip tie and created an Emerson Wave with it. A "waved" knife is a knife that can be deployed as you pull it out of your pocket with a certain technique. I modified my Caly 3 with a black zip tie and now it works just like my old Delica Wave. It looks good too. Some people like to have knives that look good and that's fine. There's nothing wrong with that. I like to use my knife and I use it often. It's more important how a knife functions than how it looks. Either way, I think the Caly 3 is beautiful. I would even go as far as calling it a gentleman's folder. Even after 3 months of hard use, I still think it's beautiful. Usually the lust of a new knife dies in about a week but this knife has lasting appeal. It looks awesome and timeless. I truly feel that this knife will serve me for years to come. That's another thing. Knives should serve you, not the other way around. It's important to take care of your tools but your tools should function for you first.


I love the Spyderco Caly 3. I own many Spyderco knives and hand's down, this is one of my favorite edc knives. Spyderco knives are like drugs. Once you try them, you have to have more. I can't get over it's looks. The contrast of metal on the spine and G10 is beautiful. The workmanship screams quality.

To buy or get more information on the Spyderco Caly 3 Carbon Fiber Handle with 3" ZDP189 Steel Blade, click the link below.

Spyderco Caly 3 Carbon Fiber Handle with 3" ZDP189 Steel Blade




All Comments are Welcome and Appreciated.

KnifeRights banner

Support the fight for our freedoms with a Knife Rights t-shirt, mug or any of the other clothing or accessories from the new Knife Rights Online Market Place. 100% of the profits go to support Knife Rights.



Stumble
Delicious
Technorati
Twitter
Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment